We love playing games in the car! It really helps pass the time, and sneak some learning into our travels. Here are five of our favorite musical car games:
1. Musical ABCs
We played this one for the first time recently, and it was an enjoyable challenge. The task? To sing a song that starts with each letter of the alphabet.
So we started with A Whole New World from and sang our way down to Zacchaeus.
We Googled the lyrics as needed, and we did skip two letters–Q and X.
Here are the rules we used:
- The song’s title had to start with the given letter.
- We had to recognize the song (so we couldn’t just Google “songs that start with X” and pick a random one)
- Any genre was fair game. We sang hymns, songs from movies, theme songs, and more.
2. All the Songs From
Musical movies are what this game is about! We tended to pick Disney movies, just because that’s what we knew most of.
Here’s the goal:
To sing all the songs from a given movie.
So if you were to pick Frozen, you’d sing all of its songs. You know:
- Frozen Heart
- Do You Want to Build a Snowman
- For the First Time in Forever
- Love Is an Open Door
- Let It Go
- Reindeers Are Better Than People
Then pick another movie and start from the top.
We did use Google to look up lyrics.
3. Songs with the Word…
For this game, you take turns picking a focus word. Then, you all name songs that contain that word.
So, if you pick “Tree”, you could list:
- O Christmas Tree
- Way Up at the Top of the Apple Tree
- If You Get There Before I Do
And tons of other songs that contain the word tree somewhere in the lyrics.
Here are the Rules we Used:
- If you named a song, you had to be ready to sing the section of the song that contained the focus word
- No Googling (just relying on brain power & memory!)
- All versions of the focus word were included–so trees counted as tree
4. Line by Line
Pick a song that most players know the word to. We found Theme Songs worked well for a variety of ages.
One person sings the first line of the song. The next player sings the next line. Continue taking turns until you reach the end of the song.
5. Themed Sing
Take turns naming a theme song. Then sing it as a family.
Continue taking turns until you can’t think of anymore theme song lyrics.
We decided that different versions counted as different songs. So we sang several different Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle songs. It made the game last longer, which is what I was going for.
We did Google lyrics after we named a song. We didn’t allow Googling of theme song titles.
Do you play musical car games? What are your favorites?
I’d love for you to share your favorite musical car games in the comments section below. We’re always game for trying a new one!
Looking for Other Car Games?
Check out my other posts for even more car game ideas:
Math Games to Play in the Car